The Blackstone Library has an album of photographs taken in 1917 by Charles N. Baxter. Baxter was the long time librarian of the library and took these one by one and one half inch photos probably with a brownie camera. The quality of the images is only fair but provide a view of buildings during that period, many of which no longer stand. The album was probably put together in the 1970s.
All of the images are labeled, some with the addresses from 1917. Many street numbers changed in 1956 so it is difficult to correlate the previous addresses with the current ones. A notation has been made giving current addresses if the building now exists.
Jane Peterson Bouley May 2006
South from St. Mary’s steeple
West from St. Mary’s steeple
East from St. Mary’s Steeple
East from St. Mary’s steeple
Main Street
Main Street
Main Street
Main Street
Main Street
71 Main Street, owner V.T. Hammer, tenants Carl VanWilgen & Otto Metz
77 Main Street, owner Carl Mory, house and bakery
Main Street, owner V.T. Hammer, garage & private school
87 Main Street, owner V.T. Hammer, tenants Ernest E. McCoy & Amelia Jameson
Tyler’s Green
99 Main Street, owner Edmund Zacker
110 Main Street, owner L.J. Nichols, tenants W.L. Lay & Mrs. C.B. Russell
118 Main Street, owner Lester J. Nichols
126 & 128 Main Street, owner Mrs. Harriet L. Palmer, Louis B. Zacker lived at #126
128 Main Street, owner Mrs. Harriet L. Palmer, rear from Cedar Street
Main Street, corner Rogers Street
Main Street, corner Rogers Street
105 Main Street, corner Rogers Street, Reidy’s Corner
105 Main Street, corner Rogers Street, Reidy’s Corner
105 Main Street, corner Rogers Street, Reidy’s Corner
Main Street, St. Mary’s Rectory, moved to 18 Eades Street
Main Street, Charles Reynolds store
Main Street, Charles Reynolds store from rear
172 Main Street, owner Dr. A.J. Tenney
172 Main Street, owner Dr. A.J. Tenney
Main Street, SNET
204 Main Street, Branford Savings Bank
210 Main Street, owner Louise Harrison, later Polly’s Tea Room
214 Main Street, owner John C. Barnes, harness, bicycle store and house
216 Main Street, Griswold Block
224 Main Street, Wilford Block
228 Main Street, Charles F. Bradley store
230 Main Street, Spaulding Drug Store
Main Street, burned in the 1920’s and 1961, Hosley Block
Main Street
240 Main Street, Park Theatre, John P. Dibble, manager
248 Main Street, Toole Block, burned 1925 and rebuilt
258 Main Street, Wallacabuckers Social Club
264 & 266 Main Street, at watering trough
Main Street, at watering trough
The Green from South Main Street
The Green from South Main Street, Town Hall
15 South Main Street, owner Marcus Babcock
23 South Main Street, owner Mrs. Harriet Thompson, Wilson E. Thompson lived on 2nd floor
29 South Main Street, owner Willys E. Beach
[35] South Main Street, owner Mrs. Hannah S. Bradley
41 South Main Street, owner Isaac P. Beach
49 South Main Street, owner David Baldwin
53 South Main Street, owner Earle A. Barker
57 South Main Street, owner Sidney V. Osborn
63 South Main Street, owner Charles E. Bunnell
67 South Main Street, owner Henry C. Woodstock
75 South Main Street, owner Samuel A. Griswold
175 Montowese Street, owner Mrs. H.N. Way
183 Montowese Street, owner Mrs. Elizabeth VanSands
187 Montowese Street, owner Dr. A.S. McQueen
191 Montowese Street, tenants Howard M. Williams & Alexander S. Thayer
195 Montowese Street, owner Mrs. Ida H. Jerold
Montowese Street
The Green from Montowese Street
38 Bradley Avenue, owners The Misses Scanlons, tenant Cornelius V. McDermott